Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Crash Course In Crap

HELLO!

If this is your first time visiting this site, you probably have questions. 

Where am I?

What the hell is an Oedipus and why does it have no eyes? 

Why are there talking objects, is this some cracked out retelling of Beauty and the Beast? 

I can explain.

Oedipus:

It began in my college theater class when we were reading the Greek tragedy Oedipus Rex (pronounced EH-duh-piss. My professor loved saying “EEEEEE-DOH-PUSS!” but that sounded a little too sexual.) The play in a nutshell: Oedipus kills his dad, marries his mom, but then they all find out so his mom kills herself and he stabs his eyes out. Yes, he is the original motherfucker.

I was always a doodler in school and on one particularly boring day, I drew this…





My friends thought it was funny so I drew more pictures.




Yes, that is the Cloverfield Monster. 

The more I drew, the more I shied away from Oedipus's tragic past. Now he enjoys baking and is like the grouchy uncle of the family.

Walkman, Beer, and Boogie Man:

The Song Walkman came into my life in 2001 and it still works today. I brought it to school with me and listened to Cirque du Soleil soundtracks while I painted in art class, I fell asleep and crushed too many headphones to count. A lot of inspiration came from that thing and I don't know what I'd do without it.

The Crappy Cartoon drawings evolved into a primitive sort of comic strip and by that I mean Facebook albums but later moved them to this site. Early include...

Tales of the Personal Space Monster 

and

Crappy Cartoon Presents: Murder Forest

You can tell there have been improvements over the years.

Beer and Walkman first appeared in Zed Closing, in which I expressed my feelings regarding Cirque du Soleil closing a very popular show. I was a bit of a Cirque nut back then.

The Boogie Man made his debut in Why I Always Corked It At Night. Our living room had this nook that went to the front door and I was afraid to look in at night because I thought a monster would come out and grab me.

He later appeared in Boogie Man Nights and that kind of helped me get over my irrational fear of the dark. The trick is to give your monsters life and give it a blankie to snuggle. Although Large Marge still scares the shit out of me.



Christmas Comics:

My personal Christmas tradition, these are the posts where I go all out. I think to myself "Ok, how am I going to one-up myself this year?" Sometimes I'll start brainstorming as early as New Year's Day. These stories are inspired by movies, shows, books, songs, whatever is popular and it can be Christmas or non-Christmas stuff. If you're in a festive mood or it happens to be the most wonderful time of the year, feel free to explore the Christmas Collection below and see how they have grown crazier and crazier over the years.

Knishmas (2011 References Polar Express and A Christmas Story)

The Arctic C-Train (2012 Polar Express, A Year Without A Santa Claus)

It's the Great Ak, Oedipus Rex! (2013 Charlie Brown, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, Father Nogmas, the Patron Saint of Drinking, is born)

Captain Oedipus and the West Pole (2014 The Nutcracker)

Among the Goats of Christmas Eve (2015 Home Alone, Snow Miser becomes scary)

Troll of the Ancient Yuletide Carol (2016 Heavily inspired by Labyrinth)

Halloween is another one I try to create a bigger story, but the Christmas ones can get so ridiculously long, I don't have time for it.


I think that about covers it. Hope you've enjoyed this crash course and this clears up some of the weirdness you'll see in these parts. 

If you have any other questions or comments, email me at:

Crappycartoontheater@gmail.com 

^ The E and R in "Theater" are in proper order and not that fancy order we *theatre nerds* like to use. 


Stay cool, cucumbers!




*This post subject to editing should questions arise

No comments:

Post a Comment